Saturday, November 9, 2013

Five books that changed Evie Wyld

Evie Wyld grew up in Australia and London, where she currently lives. She received an MA in Creative and Life Writing at Goldsmiths, University of London, and was featured as one of Granta’s New Voices in May 2008.

She has written two novels, After the Fire, a Still Small Voice and All the Birds, Singing.

Wyld shared with the Sydney Morning Herald a list of five books that changed her. One title on the list:
Cloudstreet - Tim Winton

The first book I read that made me want to write. I got the wrong idea about writing from it, though. I was desperate to know what the characters were up to now and I pictured Tim Winton having a spin-off series in his head. I was obsessed with this book as a teenager. I wanted to be every character. It made life seem amazing and sprawling.
Read about the other books on the list.

Cloudstreet is one of Mariella Frostrup's six best books.

Evie Wyld runs a bookshop in Peckham, London, called Review.

Follow Wyld on Twitter and visit her website.

Learn about Wyld's five notable books about farmers.

The Page 69 Test: After the Fire, a Still Small Voice.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Evie Wyld & Juno and Hebe.

--Marshal Zeringue