Monday, May 4, 2015

Top ten underrated or forgotten children's classics

Daniel Hahn is a writer, editor and translator and the author of a new edition of The Oxford Companion to Children’s Literature.

At the Guardian he tagged his top ten underrated or forgotten children's classics, including:
There’s No Such Thing as a Dragon by Jack Kent

One of my favourites when I was small, and like any personal favourite I simply cannot understand why it’s not everyone else’s favourite, too! It’s the story of a small boy called Billy Bixbee, who wakes up one morning to find a very small dragon in his room – but his mother won’t believe him, saying very sensibly “There’s no such thing as a dragon”. But then, bit by bit, page by page, the dragon starts to grow… This book isn’t all that easy to find nowadays (I’ve given so many as presents I feel I may have bought most of the existing copies myself…) but it’s worth hunting down – it’s so very good. (And though, yes, it’s for relatively young children, there are bits that still make me laugh and I’m 41.)
Read about the other entries on the list.

Also see: The 11 greatest children’s books.

--Marshal Zeringue